Friday, March 6, 2015

Your Favorite Taco Shops Not Open Today? Make Your Own


I had to work in Kyle yesterday, despite the "ice storm" that shut down numerous places of employment yesterday, including the local school districts. It was gloriously sunny and 46 degrees (with a nasty northerly wind) when I drove south. I thought that it would be a great time to pick up one on of those amazing SXSW barbecue tacos from Vegan Nom. They were closed because of the weather. Darn. Well, I have not yet had the opportunity to try Cool Beans. I tried there, too. I'm guessing that it was the cold weather. Seriously, when am I going to be able to try their tacos? So, what does a frustrated vegan do when he can't get what he wants? I went to Whole Foods for supplies after work in order to attempt to replicate the barbecue taco. I bought Earth Balance mac and no cheese, a couple jalapeños, some vegan barbecue sauce (Austin's Own, Border Region: good stuff), and cabbage. I made the jalapeño mac and no cheese, shredded the cabbage, and added some barbecue sauce to the seitan I had already made. It was not Vegan Nom great, but it was definitely a very good taco with strong jalapeño flavor. Chris Rios of Vegan Nom may be a genius when it comes to his taco creations, but that does not mean he can't be copied (if necessary).

No comments:

Post a Comment