Monday, April 23, 2007

A health-food craze?

It's amusing how a study can come out about a healthy quality in a food and all of a sudden it's a health food. Over the last few years, we've heard about the wonderful qualities of beer, wine, coffee and chocolate. Since I love all of those items, I didn't mind being told about their health-giving qualities. I think I used those studies to rationalize the consumption of more of these products. "It's good for you," I'd say and I'd overhear others say. Well, I think we let the healthful qualities about these products outweigh our concerns about their negative traits. Beer, wine and chocolate are supposed to be good for the heart. What about what all of those extra calories and the pounds you are gaining because of too many of these products? Isn't being obese bad for the heart? And, chocolate (I only eat the kinds that have 75 percent or greater cocoa content.), is full of saturated fat, and when you get too much of that, you get elevated levels of cholesterol, which can lead to heart problems. Coffee is supposed to somehow help with diabetes. I know a few people who have diabetes and drink coffee religiously. As a side note, I used to get mouth sores all of the time, and I started to suspect coffee had something to do with it. I stopped drinking coffee for a while, and the sores went away. I started drinking it again after a while, and the sores came back. Of course, I quit for good. Now, I only drink green or white tea for caffeine, and I no longer have any problems with mouth sores. Who are we fooling? Having something that is decadent is OK rarely, but making a regular habit of it will only lead to other problems. Moderation is something we could all do more of. Don't forget, variety is the spice of life.

1 comment:

  1. San Benito VegetarianNovember 3, 2008 at 12:14 PM

    Sad but true...there is precious little to eat for the Veggies in the RGV...we flourish nevertheless.
    In Matamoros there was a vegetarian place for the longest time right off the plaza but alas it is gone due to the economy.
    There was also a Rio Grande Vegetarian Society for a while. I wonder whatever happened to that?

    ReplyDelete