Friday, May 29, 2015

Don't Fret, Honey Coffee Beans Are Vegan

I have been a huge lover of the local CuvĂ©e coffee, but every time I go to the store, I read on the package of the different ways its beans are processed: Pulped (the traditional way), water (the high-tech modern way), and honey. I have avoided the honey processed varieties because I was unsure whether they were vegan. The only time I ever thought about it until now was when I was in the store. According to SeattleCoffeeWorks.com, "Remember that the mucilage of the coffee cherry is sticky and slimy, so it is sometimes called 'honey.' During the Honey Process, coffee is dried with some or all of the mucilage remaining on the parchment encasing the seed. Coffee cherries are picked, sorted, depulped, and then moved to drying patios or beds for various periods of time. Because there is a little bit of fermentation happening in the short amount of time it takes for the mucilage to dry, coffees processed in this way feature a little more acidity than Pulped Naturals (Pressure-Washed) coffees, but significantly less acidity than Washed or Natural/Dried-in-the-Fruit coffees." The website goes on to say that producers leave varying amount of honey on the beans and state that percentage. So, honey on coffee beans has to do with flavor, and it is fully vegan. Awesome. I'm looking forward to trying some now.

No comments:

Post a Comment