Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Best Vegan Pizza I've Ever Had


Last year in JFK International Airport, I had the best vegan pizza in my life. I thought that pie would last in my memory and haunt me for a long time, but I managed to exorcise that from my head with a new memory of my own yesterday. When my wife and I were vegetarians, we used to make simple pizzas with feta, red onions, and thyme, and I have long wanted to attempt to replicate those pizzas as a vegan. Last night, I channeled those feta pizzas, but I ended up making something entirely new, and it was so easy. I focused on making a great tofu to replace the feta or vegan cheese, which I hate. I took one block of tofu, dried it off and cut it into small cubes. I sautéed the pieces in the wok with some oil until they lost most of their excess moisture and were just lightly crispy. Then, I added a tablespoon of Greek herb mix, two tablespoons of nooch, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and salt. I had already roasted some broccoli in the Isa Chandra Moskowitz style (coated in olive oil and salt and cooked in the oven until done) and just cut them up into smaller pieces. I also chopped up a red onion into small pieces. I used premade dough from Whole Foods and a marinara sauce made by Newman's Own. I put the ingredients on the stretched and rolled out dough and put it on my clay pizza stone and cooked in the oven at 400 degrees for eight to ten minutes. I knew the pizza would be good, but I had no idea that I would stumble on a new favorite recipe. It was so easy, and I don't have to buy a ticket to New York City to satisfy my craving.

1 comment:

  1. Broccoli is wonderful on pizza! Congratulations on achieving the perfect homemade pizza!

    ReplyDelete